Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Fondarific Fondant Review Part 2

The last post that I wrote was about the flavor of Fondarific, and because of the different flavors being different colors, I asked Laura at Fondarific whether the flavored versions were all colored. She responded "the fruit flavor are the color of the fruit…..cherry is light red, strawberry is princess pink…etc. The fruit flavors were developed for the children’s side of the cake industry for their cakes, cookies and cupcakes. "

So there's the answer for that. If you want the flavored versions they'll be colored. But the buttercream flavor comes in all colors, so you wouldn't be limited to using the flavored type if you want the color also.

So on to the next challenge..how does Fondarific handle when covering a cake with it?

Laura had told me that Fondarific is different than other types of fondant because it's meant to cover cakes, not to model figures with. She also said that if you add tylose to it, it won't firm up and make quick gumpaste. They sell modelling chocolate and gumpaste for modelling purposes, and the fondant isn't intended to be used for that.

When I took it out of the tub and started kneading it, it was obvious right away that this wasn't "normal" fondant. What quickly became more obvious was that this has to be a combination of candy clay and fondant. I like that combination, since the candy clay tends to be easier to mold,  but is also stiffer when it cools off.

Reading the ingredients confirmed my suspicion, but I obviously don't know the proportions of ingredients. I had made a 50/50 combination of candy clay and fondant last week to cover the lighthouse cake, so I took out the extra from that to compare the two. The homemade stuff wasn't as smooth, but it was the same color and flavor.

I stuck my finger in it here...
The fondant ingredients were also very similar to the modelling chocolate ingredients. (Which I'll review next, to see how that handles.)

That also explained the flavor that I couldn't place...as soon as I figured out the candy clay connection I realized that it was similar to the flavor of candy melts.

So I went to roll it out, and it was fantastic to roll...Smooth, pliable, and it didn't rip. I rolled it REALLY thin to try to abuse it, and it stretched instead of ripping when I pulled it off the counter. I also did roll it directly onto the counter with no mat, corn starch or confectioner's sugar, since that was something that it said wasn't necessary on the label. I wanted to really put it to the test, and it didn't need the sugar to keep it from sticking. It just pulled right up off the counter even when it was rolled out to about 1/8".

...and this is where I fixed it.
I covered 4",7" and 9" tiers with about 2 1/3 lbs of the Fondarific. It really covered the dummies well, and the best part was that since it doesn't dry you can work it and fix any folds etc that might happen when you're covering your cakes. I deliberately stuck my finger into it to see if it could be fixed. I was able to smooth it out just by using my finger...thank you, high fat content.

It did kind of stick to the fondant smoother, but when I left it alone and let it cool off some I was able to fix it with the smoother.

That's the one thing that I did notice that could be bad about this brand...It's so soft, it got melty when I had my hands on it too much. It was relatively hot today and I had the windows open, so I checked to see what temperature it was. It was 78 degrees, which is warmish but not summer heat, so I don't know how this would handle if it was really hot. This wouldn't be a problem if you were working in a climate-controlled kitchen, but I wonder how it would do in the 100 degree summer heat for an outdoor reception.

It also makes sense that Laura said the fondant wasn't intended for use as a modelling medium. I can see that working with it too much would soften it up a lot and it wouldn't hold its shape well. But I have to say, it covered the cakes really, really well.

One of the comments on the previous post suggested mixing Fondarific with another brand (which shall be nameless) to reduce the softness. That makes sense, but I wonder if it would reduce the ability to fix problem spots so easily.

So yes, I did like this a lot, but I don't know how it would do in severe heat. Maybe I can ask Laura about that issue and see what she says.

Next: Fondarific Modelling Chocolate



Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA

For the full cake business blog, go to www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. I'm a newbie at all this, and I used to make my own fondant to cover cakes, but when I was asked to make a wedding cake I figured I better buy some and see how it compared. I found a supplier that was having a sale so I tried a few tubs of Fondarific and a few of Satin Ice. It took me a while to get the hang of the soft fondarific but I found I far preferred it to other. When it came to making the wedding cake I ended up mixing the Fondarific with the Satin Ice to get the perefect consistency. It was an extremely hot day (for Canada, that is)and it held up well in my hot kitchen. I don't know how well it would have done if not mixed with the other though. I give it a thumbs up. Unfortunately I can't find another supplier in Canada!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lulubee - I am also in Canada and do what you do by mixing the two together. Flour Confections now carries Fondarific since Golda's Kitchen stopped. It made my day when I found that out :)

    ReplyDelete